Thursday, June 18, 2009

Lunchtime dash!

I don't know about you, but I feel like I have a never-ending list of errands that need to be run. And the list only grew when I had Myles three years ago. Since my husband is "not the errand type," I keep a running to-do list.

As a working mom, what time is there to get these things done? Lunchtime!

First off, I'm not big on spending money on lunches out. I go out about 2-3 times per month to connect with friends I don't see much and I bring my lunch the other days. So since I'm always eating at my desk, I can get out to start checking off my to-do list.

Sometimes, it's a mad dash. Case in point: yesterday. I made a short list, which included picking up some supplies that my boss needed me to purchase for the employee gym. I started at Stein Mart, hoping to find my dad an outfit for Father's Day. No luck. So I raced to the mall, where I had pre-purchased some foundation and needed to pick it up during the "free gift" promotion. Since I was basically out of the tester foundation they'd given me to hold me over, I needed to do this ASAP. Check. Then I ran to Target to pick up the work supplies and while I was there, I figured I'd pick up a birthday gift for a little girl whose party Myles will attend next weekend, as well as a card for one of his old daycare teachers, whose last day is today. Check. Finally, I'd had a rare coffee craving all day and since I had a coupon for a free McCafe w/ no purchase required, I went to the McDonalds drive-through to pick one up. I did all of this in one hour, ten minutes!

What I didn't get to do was purchase a gift for a little boy whose party we have on the same day as the little girl's (it's a joint party and I hadn't heard back yet from the mom on what he wants), actually BUY a Father's Day gift for my dad, buy Billy's Father's Day gifts from me and Myles, and buy my Mother in-law's birthday gift (June 22). There simply wasn't enough time. But that's on my list for tomorrow!

This may sound insane to some people - spending your lunch hours this way - but for me, it works. It saves me from spending money on lunches and gives me more quality time with Myles and Billy, free of errands. What about other moms? When do you get your errands run?

4 comments:

Southern Living: Preppy Style said...

I feel, feel, feel you Jenna! I do some sort of errand running every single day! It is nice to know that I can get these things done without a toddler!

Debby said...

Jenna...yep...I think a lot Moms juggle those errands just like you!! I'm off on Wed, so in the AM when Lindsi is in school, Jami was at Parents AM Out. That's when I ran most of my errands AND grocery shopped.
Yesterday, I had Lindsi, Jami, & Emma...I was off, so my day went like this:
- Out the door at 8 with 3 girls to drop Lindsi at camp
- Get to camp, Lindsi's cochlear has a bad cable. Drop her at camp, go back home to fix cochlear.
(30 min drive each way)
- Go back to camp.
- Go register Jami for fall VPK
- Go through Dunkin Donuts for the hungry girls in the backseat.
- Pick Lindsi up from camp.
- Take Jami to swim lessons
- Take girls to my parents, fix them lunch.
- Leave little girls with my dad & take Lindsi to Speech
-Go by Civic Theater & pick up tickets for Fri PM.
- Go to Wally World & buy birthday gifts for 2 parties on Sat
- Go back to my parents. Little girls were sleeping, so jumped in the pool for an hour w/ Lindsi.

I hate when people say...a day off? What did you do all day????

Lee said...

I think this is one of the never-sung benefits of working moms! We get to run errands ALONE. Even if we have to mad-dash to get 'em done in an hour! Recntly I wanted to SHOP, for me. Trying on clothes is hard when you're pressed for time... but I'd rather be pressed for time by myself than also wrangling/entertaining kids! ;)

I'm lucky I work close to home, too -- sometimes I go home and vacuum the upstairs, or clean a bathroom (okay, I've done that only once). It helps!

~~Mel~~ said...

I do the lunch time dash too! Or I'll run to the grocery store on the way home from work and grab a few things (Dan usually picks Riley up from daycare so they are home already and I can take my time...but not too much time or we eat too late!).