Monday, May 25, 2009

Long weekends can be tough


I think every working mom looks forward tremendously to long holiday weekends. I know I do, especially Memorial Day, when I haven't enjoyed a holiday since New Year's!

But this weekend has been a little tough, as things have fallen through and the weather has been bad, leaving us scrambling to keep a 3 year-old entertained. Saturday we had plans to meet my parents and sister at their resort near Disney for the day. It was my sister's birthday and we were going to celebrate. Well, Florida has had nonstop rain since Monday and by 10am Saturday morning, it was storming and there were no signs it was letting up. We ended up at the T-Rex restaurant at Downtown Disney and even had enough of a rain stoppage to walk around a bit.

We had hoped to go to the resort on Sunday with two other families. Those plans fell through. Then we thought we'd go buy a Science Center membership Sunday, but we ended up just not feeling like it. So we watched TV, Billy ended up taking Myles roller skating (his first time) for a couple of hours while I took a nap, and we went to the PM church service. The day was mostly a bust.

This morning, we are finally getting out to the resort. And since Billy is adamant about seeing other people (other than my family) on the weekends, he convinced his brother to meet us out there with his family. We definitely don't see them enough so I'm glad it worked out. It should be a fun day, as long as the rain holds out.

But the weekend itself did not shape out how we originally planned it. And it has been stressful trying to make things happen at the last minute when everyone seems to already have plans. I'll have to do a better job for 4th of July!

1 comment:

~~Mel~~ said...

It's hard when plans don't work out and it's even harder to entertain a 3 year old when you have to be stuck indoors all weekend.

I hope you had a great time on monday (I'm so behind on my reading).