Thursday, November 13, 2008

Fast, easy cooking for working moms

If you're like me, one of the last things you have time to do after working all day and being away from your child for 9 hours is cook an elaborate meal. But you also know it's unreasonable and way too expensive, not to mention bad for your waistline, to be eating out every night. You also want to serve balanced meals, not cereal every night.

I have been working hard to find good recipes that are kid friendly, simple to make and fairly inexpensive. I'll start sharing one weekly on this blog...get on me if I slack off!

Here's a good one, which I made last night and which Myles always loves. The ingredients combined cost me around $6-$7 and it easily feeds two adults and 2 kids. It usually takes me a half hour from start to finish, but 15 min. of that time does not require any of your attention. Typically, I only give about 15 min. of my full attention to cooking when making this meal. And it's quite delicious!

Apple Sausage Rigatoni

6 oz. dried rigatoni (about 2 cups)
8 oz. cooked smoked sausage, halved lengthwise and cut into 1-inch pieces (*I use the healthy turkey sausage)
2-3 Golden Delicious apples, cored and cut into 1/2-inch thick slices
1/2 cup whipping cream (*I use the light cream found next to whipping cream in the dairy aisle)
1/2 cup crumbled Gorgonzola or other blue cheese
Snipped fresh basil (optional)

Directions
1. In a 4-quart Dutch oven cook pasta according to package directions; drain. Set aside.
2. In same Dutch oven cook sausage until lightly browned (usually about 3-4 min. for me). Add apples; cook, stirring occasionally, until apples are lightly golden, 5 min. or so. Stir in cooked pasta, whipped cream, and cheese. Heat through. Garnish with basil. Makes 4 servings.

1 comment:

Yellow Beads said...

I swear by my crock pot! I cook in it atleast 2 or 3 times a week.