Wednesday, October 22, 2008

"I don't like Mommy!"

This is what Myles told me when we were driving home Sunday after his weekend with my parents. He had a wonderful time with them in Ocala but didn't want to come home due to the nonstop excitement. I tried to explain to him that he needed to come home because he LIVES there...and because we love him and want to be with him. It didn't work. "I don't like mommy!" So I tried telling him Daddy was crying because he missed him so much (Daddy was at home finishing the kitchen when I was driving Myles home). "No daddy! I don't like daddy!" was the response.

Billy doesn't think he fully understands what he's saying when he says he doesn't like someone or something. He feels he's just trying to communicate that he doesn't want to be with that person at that time. I'm not so sure. All I know is it hurts and I never expected I'd hear the "I don't like you" line this early in my child's life.

Looks like I have some work to do.

Here are two photos taken over the weekend during his stay with my parents. Both are taken at Silver Springs, which is a fabulous place to take children, especially in the fall and around the holidays, when they have extra activities and exhibits setup. It's worth the drive from Orlando when you have a day to spare.

4 comments:

Jade said...

I have to agree with Bill on this one. Toddlers get the here and now, and don't have much relational perception of anything beyond present emotion. What he meant was, "I don't want to leave Meme & Pop-pop and go with you right now."

But you also have to consider that he must have been loving the constant, consistent, one-on-one attention he was getting from his grandparents. Of course he doesn't want to go back to only getting that a couple of hours in the mornings and evenings when he could have it all day long (in his mind). I think, like Calvin, he has a super high need for attention right now (who knows when that will end?) and he will do what he needs to do to get it. Attention to a toddler = love, security, & happiness. I would just look at it as a blessing that he has grandparents who can and will give him those times of undivided attention when he needs it. But you & Bill will always be Mommy & Daddy, whether he really likes it or not ;)

Debby said...

Jenna....No worries..really. He is just expressing himself in the one way he knows how to.

It's hard sometimes, but if you don't OVER react to the I Don't Like You comments, they become powerless little statements.

My girls are masters of throwing that one around & at each other. I don't react, but it's a bullseye when they hurl it at each other.

I was so proud of Emma last month when we had her for a weekend. The girls totally got in to the I don't LIKE you quarrel & Emma completely let it roll off her back like water to a duck. No power, no more comments about who liked / didn't like who. It was great!

I usually respond back with ..too bad, I still like / love you!

Debby...=)

Yellow Beads said...

First, the kitchen looks amazing. Second, I have an award for you on my blog. Third, Don't take Myles comment so personally--easier said than done, I'm sure!!

Anonymous said...

Jenna,

He's only 3........it means nothing....it will still mean nothing when he says it when he is 5 and then again at 8, and I'm sure at 15......just be prepared...as they get older they come up with more creative words..."like, you are the worst mother in the world". Now, intellectually, you will know that you are NOT the worst mother in the world....you'll probably even be able to name 4 or 5 other mothers who are definitely more behind the 8 ball than you are, but it doesn't stop the words. As Debby says, don't give the words power and do what I do.....the more I hear them, the better job I'm doing of being their Mom and not their friend.