Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Can a mommy "do it all"?

This is the question many women find themselves asking after they become a mommy. And I believe the answer is.... yes, and no.

First off, no, we cannot continue to do all that we did when we were living the freewheeling married-no-kids (or single) life. It simply isn't possible due to the time restraints of the day. However, YES, we can "do it all," as long as "it all" is defined ahead of time as being the things that are truly important in life. Will most of us be out getting pedicures on Saturday afternoon? Nope, we'll probably be in Gymboree class. But the real question is whether those pedicures really were that important to begin with.

I believe all moms should make a list of their priorities, then determine how much is realistically possible and stick with it. As a working mom, I find myself doing this every day. It is important to me to maintain a professional career. I tried being a SAHM and hated it. I love the freedom that comes with being around adults. Just having that hour alone in the car each day is therapeutic and prepares me for being a mommy the minute I get home. One thing I found I couldn't do any longer after returning to work was clean my house. So I hired a housekeeper to come in every other week. And while I realize not everyone can afford a housekeeper, you may be able to work out a trade for something you are unable to continue. Take out a Craigslist ad and see the possibilities. I also use my lunch breaks at work to complete errands, sometimes including purchasing my "dry goods" food for the week.

Of course, just being with your child is probably at the top of nearly every mom's list. And with that comes the question of what to do. And with that comes the purpose for this blog. I would like to share my ideas of things to do with your child(ren) and tell you about the things we like to do. I hope this will help you realize you can "do it all" with your child, even if you are a working mom!

No comments: