Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Is it...or isn't it?

Myles has been going through this phase of saying the direct opposite of what he means. We'll be driving along and he'll blurt out, "That's not a BMW." Directly in front of us sits a BMW and he's staring at it.

A VW will pull up next to us. He'll turn to it and nonchalantly say, "That's not a Volkswagen."

It's driving me nuts! First, I would respond by saying, "Yes it is, Myles. You know what that car is."

Now, I've resorted to saying something crazy in response. So when he says, "That's not a big truck," I will respond with, "No, it's a jet!" He waits a few seconds, then responds with, "That's not a jet! It's a big truck!" Well...why didn't you just say so?

He doesn't just do it with cars either. I'll ask him if he had fun at Chick Fil-A (where we were for Musical Suppertime last night). He'll respond with a great big "No." My answer: "OK, we won't go back then." And of course, he freaks out saying he wants to go back...soon! When I confront him about saying just 10 seconds ago that he didn't have fun, he corrects himself and says "I had fun, mommy."

What he heck is going on? Can anyone relate or provide advice?

6 comments:

Debby said...

Well, my Mommy guess is that he gets a bigger reaction & your actual attention when he says the opposite.

Have you ever (& I'm guilty of this, really? who isn't?)...not really listened to him. They go on & on about something & you numbingly are agreeing...uh...uh..hmmm.....

He's learned if he says the opposite...you'll respond in a bigger way...No, that's not correct...or What do you mean that's not a big trk....you're engaging with him.

Sort of the like negative attention is better than no attention type of thing.

He's learning the power of his words.

My suggestion would be to play up the correct things & ignore or limit correcting the opposite things he says.

AND I am not saying you don't pay attention to Myles. NOT AT ALL....just he's learned he'll engage you MORE if he says the opposite of what he means.

Try that.....=)

Debby

Katy said...

Gavin did that... it drove me nuts!! It's a phase and he'll grow out of it... :)

~~Mel~~ said...

He's just pushing your buttons...boys like to do that! He probably knows how annoyed it makes you and does it to get a rise out of you.

Riley's latest kick is "I'm the worst kid ever"...he knows he's not but says it for attention (usually after just getting in trouble) and he knows it irks me so therefore he keeps doing it.

Be patient...this too shall pass.

~~Mel~~ said...

P.S. I think your crazy responses might just be what he needs to outgrow this phase a little sooner lol. Good work!

~~Mel~~ said...

P.P.S. (do you feel like I'm stalking you yet? lol) Check out my blog for a fun game.

Yellow Beads said...

I think you have a pretty smart boy there Jenna!!