Wednesday, November 12, 2008

A day off...take it for yourself?

I am taking this Friday as a personal day. Originally, I hoped to drive 90 miles to spend some time with my dad, who is battling cancer. Although those plans aren't working out, I will still take the day off. After all, I have a few days to take by the end of the year, so why not?

As I started planning for the day, I began feeling guilty about taking Myles to daycare when I'm not working. The last day I took off (Halloween), I kept him home and we had a very fun day. But this time, I just feel too behind in life's tasks to give up the opportunity to take the day for myself. I have already made a list of things I'd like to do Friday that would be humanly impossible to complete.

But I can feel good about getting some of the things done, right? For one, I need to continue my Christmas shopping, which I've been SO good about this year, having already finished my dad and brother and started Myles and my sister. I also have a small pile of things that need to go to the children's consignment store, and one larger item for Craigslist. And yes, I still need to take down my Halloween decorations. And bake a pumpkin roll. And get a pedicure. Okay, actually I don't need to get the pedicure...but i could use it!

How about you? When you elect to take a day off (and you or your child aren't sick), do you ever send your child to childcare? Should I feel bad for this?

3 comments:

Debby said...

Jenna... Do NOT feel guilty. I'm sure like me, you rarely get those non work non mom moments.

I'm taking off next Tue to come to Orlando, pick up some Christmas items at IKEA, have lunch at my FAVORITE restaurant & I won't feel guitly at all. Because if I did, Lindsi would be missing a very significant Christmas gift....lol...

Debby

Mike&Sara said...

Almost every time! LOL Just found your blog and I really enjoy it. I am a working mom in the military with a 5 and 6 year old. It's a balancing act!

Susan said...

I could have written this myself. I have recently taken a few days off from work and dropped my daughter off at daycare in order to get some much needed tasks accomplished. My 16 month old is not at all helpful when it comes to specific errands. I do feel guilty (and usually pick her up a little early), but I justify that our time together will be better if I have completed these things on my own.