Friday, April 25, 2008

Mission accomplished!

When I became a mom, I took a look (for the first time) at how healthy I was really living. I think most moms re-evaluate their lifestyle and health at this critical life juncture. I ended up making some minor changes like trying to be a little more active, but nothing too big. 

Then came time for New Year's Resolutions for 2008. I've never been a big Resolution person, but I couldn't believe it when I realized I'd never lost all of my baby weight. Myles was 22 months old and I was feeling like a complete loser. So I made a decision to change that. I joined Weight Watchers and started REALLY watching what I was eating. Then I started running. 

I had dabbled in running late in 2007, but not done very well, never really being able to jog more than a mile. However, I asked for an iPod for Christmas and got one. Then I asked for real running shoes for my birthday in January. My mom was wonderful to buy both of these items, and they truly revolutionized my life, changing running from a punishment to a joy. 

So, what I'm getting to is that last night I RAN my first 5K!!! I took part in the IOA Corporate Challenge, which is held in Orlando each year. I was part of my company's team and unsure whether I could run the full 3.1 miles despite my training. 

I can't remember many other times in my life I have felt so amazing than during this 5K! I felt strong, accomplished, and HEALTHY! Although the last mile was really tough, passing hundreds, if not over a thousand, runners who had started walking during that last mile kept me going. And as I thought about Myles, I pressed on and continued to run. I was nearly sobbing as I crossed the finish line. I never did slow to a walk. I persevered and finished in 32 minutes, 21 seconds! I would have never believed even 6 months ago that I could run a 5K, let alone in that time. But I did!!! I am in the best shape of my life...thanks to Myles!

Below are two photos - one of me before the race and one of the crowd as we crossed the starting line. I am near the middle in the mint green tank top, trying to push through the crowd. 

1 comment:

Yellow Beads said...

HOW AWESOME Jenna!!! Good for you--yay!!!